Sunday, October 12, 2008

Interview with Frank Resetarits

Frank Resetarits is one of he premier draftees, chosen 5th, of the NLL. He was one of the best attackmen, along with teammate Merrick Thomson, at UAlbany last year. As a leader on that team he and Thomson helped propel UAlbany to the semi-finals against Cornell. Though it was a heartbreaking loss it is already being talked about as one of the best games ever played. Frank is starting his NLL career with the San Jose Stealth this winter, you can read a little about his conditioning exploits at NLL Insider.
Frank was kind enough to answer some questions for Tillax.com where he talks about some of the people he looked up to and his little brother Joe.




Tillax: UAlbany seemed to surprise people last year. Were you guys surprised at what you were able to accomplish?
Frank Resetarits: No we weren't that surprised at what we did. We talked all Fall about how much talent we had and how close we were to taking that next step into the lacrosse world. We had a lot of seniors that provided great leadership and that, along with some younger guys stepping up, allowed us to put together some nice wins along the way.

Tillax: You and Merrick Thomson were one of the best attack duos in the NCAA's last year, second only to Danowski/Greer of Duke. What do you think made you guys so good?
FR: I think that the fact that we were so unselfish with each other helped us both put up good points. We both worked hard to get the ball to each other and get each other open. Neither one of us were concerned with stats, just getting the win. Also the fact that we had a coach who put us in good situations on the field and that we had teammates that were awesome at getting the ball to us and putting the team first.

Tillax: What was it like playing for Coach Marr? What kinds of things did you learn from him?
FR: I couldn't’t imagine playing for anyone else in the college lacrosse world. Coach Marr is the best coach around and that’s why he got the national coach of the year award. He is not like most coaches where there’s some sort of wall up between him and his players off the field. He treats us like family. We do things as a team on weekends and we look at him like a big brother. He has taught me so much about being a better lacrosse player. Every day I think I learned something new from him. He is so creative as an offensive mind and it rubs off on you if you spend enough time around him.



Tillax: When and why did you start playing lacrosse? Who are some people you watched growing up?
FR: I started playing lacrosse when I was 7 on a box lacrosse team based on an Indian reservation in Buffalo. We played in the Ontario Lacrosse Association. I started playing because I liked the sport from watching the Buffalo Bandits play. I looked up to players like John Tavares, the Gait brothers, Jim Veltman, John Grant and Colin Doyle. Those guys are some of the best indoor players of all time and I try to do my best to play like
them.

Tillax: What are some of your strengths and things you think you need to work on?
FR: I think that I need to work on speed. That has always been my biggest downfall as a player. I always work on my stick skills. Any player, no matter what level they play at or how good they are can work on their stick skills. You can always have a better stick than you have now. You can be the biggest, fastest guy in the world, but you won't be a good player until you have good stick skills.

Tillax: Who are some of the most influential people to you in lacrosse and outside of lacrosse?
6- Both of my parents have been the most. The have always supported me and my brother and have made huge sacrifices so that we could be successful in whatever sports we were playing at the time. The have driven countless amounts of hours so we could play and get better.

Tillax: Did you play any other sports besides lacrosse?
FR: Growing up I played pretty much every sport when I was younger. But as I got to high school I just played football and lacrosse. I played quarterback, a little bit of receiver and linebacker in football.

Tillax: How happy are you that the NLL season is back on? What kind of a roller coaster was that for you not having played in the league yet?
FR: I am extremely happy the season is back on. I was planning to move out West to play and with the season being off my plans were almost ruined.
But, thankfully, an agreement was made so I can put off getting a 9-5 job for a while and play lacrosse for a living.

Tillax: What did you major in at UAlbany? Why did you choose that major?
FR: I majored in Sociology at UAlbany with a minor in journalism. We didn't have a journalism major at UAlbany at that time, otherwise I would have done that. I chose soc because I thought it was interesting to see how the human mind works and understand the world around me better.

Tillax: What tips would you give young lacrosse players on how to improve their game? Do you help coach your younger brother Joe? Is he going to be better than you and if so are you jealous?
FR: I was helping out with my brothers high school team before I left to go out West and I plan to go back and help after the season is through. I do think that one day he can be better than me; he has all the tools to be one of the best in the country and I think he will achieve that. I'm not jealous of him because he learned a lot of his game through me so I look at him and see that he can achieve a lot of things that I was not able to.
As for advice for kids out there the biggest thing I tell kids when I work camps and coach them is that you always have to have the stick in your hands. Hitting the wall is important to get better but even just sitting around watching TV you can have your stick with you on the couch. Just sit there and cradle the ball, feel the stick in your hands to get used to it. Even now, playing pro, these guys still always carry their sticks around with them no matter where they are.

Tillax: What was your most memorable moment in your college lacrosse career?
FR: My most memorable moment definitely has to be beating Johns Hopkins on their field opening game last season, and scoring the game winner for our team. I’ll never forget John Alpizar passing me the ball in front and seeing the ball go in, then being so nervous when Hopkins had one last chance to score with 30 seconds left, and then to run on the field with my teammates and celebrate. It was an awesome feeling.



No comments: